Pages

Welcome to my blog!


If you ask me what my very favourite thing is I would not hesitate to say my family. I came into motherhood quite late on, and was immediately overwhelmed with how amazing it is. Now I would like nothing more than to be a Domestic Goddess, and surround my family in love, good food, beautiful things and lots of happy memories. And like the majority of families these days, we need to do it on a budget!

I firmly believe we all have a little bit of the Domestic Goddess inside us, just waiting to break out. Whether that is knowing how to make a roast chicken feed a family of 4 for a week, being able to make, repair or recycle clothes, hunting down a bargain, or simply turning everyday, simple things into pretty or useful items, with a little bit of imagination we can all dip in to the Goddess inside and make our lives that little bit more interesting.



I hope you enjoy reading my blog as much as I enjoy sharing my (challenging) journey into Domestic Goddessness!



Friday, September 9, 2016

An Aladdin's Cave

On the North Norfolk coast there's a lovely little seaside town called Sherringham. I don't know if you've ever been, but if you get the chance, it's well worth a visit. I've been there several times with the hubs and our little family, and plan to introduce the Littlest to it next summer. I have happy memories of walking along the sea front, with it's brightly coloured beach huts, looking out to sea, stopping in the little cafe for a brew and walking along the high street, past the obligatory English seaside amusement arcades, towards the centre of the town, gorgeous little gift shops, traditional sweet shops but also one of my absolute favourite types of places - those eclectic  little shops that you go in not knowing what you'll find. There's one in Sherringham that I spent hours in (or was, I have no idea if it's still there) tucked away on a back street, and selling all kinds of gorgeous little trinkets,and gifts, items from all ethnicities. A real Aladdin's Cave.
I remember one in Hampton as well, that always drew me like a moth to a flame whenever we travelled through. That was like a curiosity shop, full of things people had discarded for others to find a home for, as well as spaces available for the local crafters and artisans to show off their wares, too. I haven't been to Hampton since before my children were born. I doubt, in today's climate of bargain buys and online shopping, that it is still even there. I hope it is, though.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, this , and all the other little shops and stalls I've spent hours browsing round, was the inspiration for my page, which is why, when you visit my page (and hopefully one day I'll have a website, too) you'll see a higgeldy, piggeldy collection of things I've made, up-cycled or just found to pass on to a new home. I hope you like browsing, just like me! You never know when you'll come across that one perfect thing you were looking for, and maybe didn't even know it.

This little pocket watch was one of those things I found accidentally on purpose.


I was looking for something else, and it caught my eye.


And I love it, and I'm not sure I can be parted from it! I keep looking at it. It reminds me of almost publicly embarrassing myself at my daughters' last dance show, when Biggest played Alice in a beautifully choreographed little ballet performance, and I was so proud.

(But I can't keep everything or else my husband will divorce me and I'll be on telly as Britain's Biggest Hoarder)

So on my page it goes, along with things I've made and things I've up-cycled, and other things I've collected along the way. Come and say hello! 


No comments: